Thursday, April 26, 2012

On-Off Switch

I learnt from a popular parenting blog that one of the ways to help an active mind slow down and fall asleep is to engage the On-Off switch game. I tried to no success two nights ago:

Craig: I want you to tell me a story about Kandy the bear.
Mommy: OK - but after this story, we will turn off the switch here (gesturing the left of his forehead) and you'll go to sleep.
Craig: No, the "off" switch is on this side (pointing to opposite side of his forehead).
Mommy: OK, OK. But remember, we will switch it off after the story.
Craig: But actually, there's no switch on my head!
Mommy: Just pretend you have one, will ya!

(After the story)

Mommy: OK - as promised, we will turn the switch off now.
Craig: OK.

(Still talking...)

Mommy: Hey, hey, no talking - switch is turned off!
Craig: Actually there's another switch behind my head. We can't turn that off coz it will make a loud sound if you turn it off - eeeh-eeh-eeh-eeh!
Mommy: (Concludes that clearly the Switch game is not working!) Just shut your eyes and go to sleep, if not...!

No comments:

Post a Comment